The conversion to 5010 on January 1st has been relatively smooth one, but there has been some hiccups along the way that have caused denials and associated cash flow disruptions. Ken Bradley researched the reasons that claims were being denied and came up with the top five due to the 5010 changeover:
- No Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) reason code on a primary claim.
- Lack of drug units when a National Drug Code (NDC) is present.
- No detailed description of an unlisted service.
- ZIP codes listed with only 5 digits.
- Billing provider address is a PO Box.
Read the entire article to find out how to correct these denials and make sure that your cash flow stays on track.